Friday, July 30, 2010

Gregg Breinberg and the PS22 choir



 I'm probably the last blogger on earth to post about Gregg Breinberg and the PS22 choir, but I don't care.  As always I was on YouTube and discovered this man and his  fifth grade students.  Every clip I saw of them gave me goosebumps which have yet to disappear.  I'm a firm believer in the power of art; that it broaden horizons, and builds both character and self-esteem. Seeing such a prolific power being expressed through kids is indescribable.  I attended an underfunded public school throughout my school age years and music classes were  more than a curriculum,but rather a major event.  Through out many American public schools, the arts are considered a needless waste of tax dollars. Thus, leaving students with a void of self-expression and talented teachers in the unemployment line.  Hopefully, the PS22 children will capture the heart of a politician or educational leader to enforce more creativity in public schools. Watching Greg Breinberg in his hipster attire, really wish I had him as a band directer.

No comments:

Post a Comment